Having a sweet, new baby at home can be stressful enough. Your newborn photography session shouldn’t be! Here are some tips that can help make your newborn photo session easy and enjoyable whether in my Oklahoma City studio or in the comfort of your home.
- Schedule your newborn session within 2 weeks of your due date. Babies younger than 2 weeks are generally more flexible because those pesky reflexes haven’t kicked in yet. 2-7 days old is the best. If your baby is older, no worries, we will work with it. It just may require a little extra time.
- Make sure baby has been kept awake 2 hours prior to the appointment time. I know this is easier said than done! Most newborn sessions take anywhere from 1-3 hours and is best when baby is sound asleep. The best time to shoot is in the morning! I have extensive experience with little ones, so I’m happy to work while you get some much-needed rest.
- Bring any props you want. If you fell in love with an image off Pinterest, bring that too! I have a wide variety of blankets, bows, and props and always welcome that personal touch. Heirlooms are always fun to incorporate.
- I prefer for baby to be fed once you arrive so that he/she will be nice and sleepy. I will always allow time for bottle or breastfeeding in the event they get fussy during the session. Bringing an extra bottle of formula or breast milk for me to use is also helpful.
- If your newborn gets upset for whatever reason, remain calm. Babies feed off the vibes their mothers and fathers give off. If you are anxious, they will be too. If you are calm, they will be too. 🙂
- Minimize the amount of people present during the photo shoot. We want to create a peaceful atmosphere for your newborn.
- Keep your baby’s clothing and diaper loose an hour prior to your scheduled session. This prevents red marks and lines on your baby’s skin during the session.
- If you are breastfeeding, refrain from having any caffeine the night before and day of the shoot. Keeps baby wide awake!
Whatever you do, don’t stress. It will be amazing and we will get precious photographs of your newborn!
See examples of my newborn work here.